Thursday, April 17, 2014

Brother Rock
February 2, 1991

Brother Rock,
Father Sky, Sister Sun, and Mother Moon,

Auntie Star shines her way to visit.
She'll be shooting soon.

She'll make herself comfortable
and embrace any invitation with
a calm retrieval before her usual
suggestion.

Of course, there will be her hums and heavy
exhalations, wondering, "What will they
make of their voices when hiding from my
question?":

"Who'll watch over my children while I keep
everyone in their place, for a galaxy with
constellations is an infinite race?"

Father Sky observed his kin and quickly
propelled his reply: "Each of us has his duty;
each of us has his place. My dear, I would
gladly assist you but your children extend,
even beyond my meager space."

Mother Moon approached with grace
and shone what light she could: "I'm
full at some point and a boomerang at
another course, and what brightness I'm
afforded to cast and display stems from
another source."

Sister Sun revealed her truth with the
expedience of a sleuth: "A giantess I am
and, like you, a star for our system's abode.
Unfortunately, my eyes are marked for
globes of civilizations, so I cannot be your
children's protector or a hand to hold."

"Oh", said Auntie Star, "My travels are so vast,
though I can speed to each of my family, but
my stay is a frizzle; I want more time with them.
Starshine shouldn't be a drizzle."

Brother Rock heard his aunt's plea and dared
to mark his word, though he's under every
force that is seen and heard: "Auntie Star, my
place, though by a meadow or pond, could
be ascended to grand lifts if you and the others
would, each, present your wand."

"What request would you merit from a minor
so bold?" Mother, father, and sister insisted
without being cold?"

Easily asserted brimmed Brother Rock, feeling
brilliant for given a response: "My life among
my earthly peers have allotted me the courage
to steer, to look up, to dream of travel, while
they come and go, and I'm unmoved here."

"Auntie Star, I ask you and the others to grant
me, a stomp, a little power, so that I, too, can
be stellar."

"Tell me, little stone by the water, what
could you see that I have not beyond the
cuts of cosmic corners? Your aunt asks,
though I should be your mother, and
tell me why your discovery, assistance or
computation would inhibit any other."

"Well", coughed Brother Rock, "I can
go with light ahead of you, due to my
newborn force, and be a comfort to
your children, be a steady for their
recourse, be the cause of their wait and
potential sadness that will fizzle in a dive,
which will ease them into happiness
when you arrive.

© 1991 Jarrod C. Lacy

1 comment: